OverDrive ePub and MP3 AudioBooks on the Kindle Fire
The OverDrive app makes it easy to listen to MP3 audiobooks and read borrowed EPUB titles with the Kindle Fire. The app has controls for replaying missed segments and to place bookmarks.
You will need to have Internet access to follow these instructions. Once your device has been setup and you have downloaded a book, you will be able to read or listen to the book offline, without Internet access.
Setup - Install the free OverDrive app.
- New Kindles may have this app already loaded. If so, you may begin at step 7.
- From the home screen of your Kindle Fire, tap on Apps.
- Tap on 'Store'.
- Type 'overdrive' in the search box and search.
- Select the OverDrive app, tap 'Free', and then 'Get App'. You may need to sign in to your Amazon account and purchase (for $0) to complete the download/install of the OverDrive app.
- Once the OverDrive app is installed you should find it under Apps on your Fire. You may also have an the OverDrive icon on your Bookshelf.
- Tap either of the OverDrive icons described in the previous step.
- The OverDrive app may start with an 'About' page. Close that page to continue.
- You may find a
Welcome to OverDrive audiobook on your OverDrive app bookshelf. Listen to that for a description of features.
- With the OverDrive app open, tap the menu button. The location of the menu button depends on the version of Kindle Fire you have.
- Older Fires, that use a gear icon in the upper right corner to access device settings, will have a menu button that looks like three lines at the bottom of the screen.
- Newer Fires, that use a slide motion at the top of the screen to access device settings, will have a menu button that looks like three dots in the upper right corner area.
- Tap on 'Get Books' (older Fire) or 'Bookshelf' (newer Fire). If using the newer Fire, you should now see and tap on a 'Get Books' icon in the upper menu bar that looks like a Book with a plus sign.
- Tap on 'Add a Library'. The location on the screen varies, bottom (older) or top (newer).
- Find and select the Bremen Public Library in Indiana.
- Tap the star to add the Indiana Digital Download Center (iddc.lib.overdrive.com) website to your library list. The star should turn yellow or blue.
- The installation and setup of the OverDrive app is now complete.
Checkout and download library books
- Open the OverDrive app if it is not already open.
- Repeat steps 10 and 11 above to Get Books.
- Tap the Indiana Digital Download Center in your library list.
- Tap on 'Sign In' and choose Bremen Public Library.
- Enter your library card number with no spaces.
- You will see highlighted titles to choose or you may search for a specific title using a search box (magnifying glass). Tapping the three horizontal lines will toggle a menu of categories to browse.
- When choosing a title, look at the top right corner of the book cover. You will notice a symbol of an open book (eBooks) or headphones (audiobooks). If the symbol is black, it means the book is available for check out. If the symbol is gray, it means the title is already checked out and you may put it on hold.
- You can narrow your search and browsing results to show only available titles, a specific format, or a subject by applying a filter. If you are holding your Kindle in portrait orientation, you may see a
Filter search by: + button near the top of the page. Tap that button to reveal the filter selections. If you are holding your Kindle in landscape orientation, the filters may be shown along the left side of the page under the
Show me and
Format buttons. Click on the
Available Now link to see only those available. Under the Format button, click on your desired format link. The EPUB eBook, PDF eBook, and OverDrive MP3 Audiobook are all compatible with the OverDrive app.
- Once you find a title that you want, tap on it. A page for that book will open.
- Under the picture of the cover of the book, you may change the duration of the checkout (only if you are logged in).
- Tap Borrow.
- After tapping Borrow, you will see the book in your iddc Bookshelf. Now you have the options to 'Download', 'Read (or Listen) in Browser', or to 'Return Title'.
- If you select 'Download' for an eBook, you may have a further choice of EPUB or KINDLE format.
- If you select EPUB format, the book will be downloaded to your OverDrive app Bookshelf on your device.
- If you select KINDLE, you will need to go to your Amazon account to complete the download and the book will be downloaded to your Kindle bookshelf.
- When you download a book, the option to Return will disappear from the iddc Bookshelf. Downloaded books can be returned using the applicable software, either the OverDrive app for audiobooks and EPUB eBooks, or your Amazon account for KINDLE eBooks.
Enjoy your library books
- Start the OverDrive app.
- You should see the title of your book in your OverDrive app bookshelf. Tap to read or listen to the book.
- The book will be automatically returned on the due date.
Tips and Help
- You can return a book early by tapping on the + sign for the book in the OverDrive app bookshelf, then tap on Return and Delete.
- If you find a book, but there are no available copies, you can place a hold. You will be notified by email when the item is available for you. You have three days from the time of the available notice to check the book out.
- Your loan period begins on the day you check the book out, not necessarily the day you download the book.
- The OverDrive site has thousands of free public domain titles. These books do not expire and do not count against your library checkout limit (10).
- You can also add a title to your wish list, which lets you easily find it when you want to. You'll find your Wish List items in your iddc account.
Bremen Public Library, December 2015