Heritage Quest Online
Heritage Quest Online is an online repository of sources for patrons researching family and local history. Records available include images and indexes of the U.S. Federal Census from 1790 - 1930, the Periodical Source Index (PERSI) compiled by the staff of the Historical Genealogy Department of the Allen County Public Library, selected records from the Revolutionary War, the Freedman's Bank, and over 20,000 books.
There are 2 ways for Bremen Library patrons to access Heritage Quest Online:
- At the Bremen Public Library - You will have direct access to Heritage Quest Online if you click on this link while using a Bremen Library computer.
- Using an Internet connection - You will need to login with the bar code number on the back of your Bremen Public Library card. Use this link if you are not using a computer at the Bremen Library.
- Find a census record:
- You can Browse all years (1790-1930).
- You can Search the Heritage Quest index for all years except 1830, 1840, 1850 and parts of 1930.
- Remember, most of the 1890 census was destroyed by fire.
- Often, only the head of the household is listed in the index.
- The Heritage Quest Census Help Page gives more searching tips.
- The Census Book by William Dollarhide details what information is available in each census year.
- Find a specific page in a book:
- Search by person, place or publication name.
- Look for links to view Hits, Image, Table of Contents and Page Numbers.
- If browsing publications, you need to click on the arrow to view the Table of Contents.
- Read the Heritage Quest Searching Books - Getting Started Guide (pdf) for more help.
- Get a copy of an article cited in PERSI:
- Record the title of the article.
- Record the title, date, volume and issue number of the periodical.
- Check the Library Online Catalog to see if the journal is available locally.
- If not available locally, print out the request form. Complete the form and mail it along with your payment to the address given on the form.
- Alternately, check at the Adult Services desk to see if it can be obtained through Interlibrary Loan.