Getting started with streaming video
- What devices are compatible with OverDrive?
- Most mobile devices and computers are compatible with the digital titles available on OverDrive. However, some mobile devices may require you to use a computer to complete the checkout and download process. The OverDrive Device Resource Center is the best source for file format and software compatibility.
- What is OverDrive Advantage?
- Some of the titles we purchase are shared with a group libraries.
Other titles we purchase are designated specifically for our patrons. These are called OverDrive Advantage titles.
You must be signed in with your Bremen card number for the Advantage titles to show as available to you.
The advantage of signing in first is additional titles and less holds.
- What is ePub?
- ePub is an industry standard format for eBooks. ePub supports variable font size and text flow. The digital right for copyrighted ePub books is managed through your Adobe ID or OverDrive account.
- What is an Adobe ID and how do I get one?
- An Adobe ID is a way of uniquely identifying users to allow access to copyrighted material. You will be asked for your Adobe ID when you install Adobe Digital Editions. Older versions of the OverDrive app (v 2.x) also use your Adobe ID. If you do not yet have an Adobe ID, follow the prompts to register for a FREE Adobe ID with Adobe.com. You will need an e-mail address to get an Adobe ID.
- Do I need an Adobe ID to read Kindle books?
- No. But you will need an Amazon account to read Kindle books checked out with your library card.
- What is Adobe Digital Editions and do I need it?
- Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is a free application that can be installed on your Windows or Apple computer to read and manage ePub eBooks. It is not required for Kindle books, devices that support the OverDrive app, or for OverDrive Read. It can be used to transfer eBooks to devices that do not support the OverDrive app. See the OverDrive Device Resource Center for more information.
- What is the OverDrive app and do I need to install it?
- The OverDrive app is a small program designed to run on mobile devices. It provides a integrated browse, checkout, download, and read process for ePub books and digital audio books. You can not use the OverDrive app to read Kindle books, but you CAN install the app on some Kindle Fires to read ePub books on them. We recommend you install this app if your device supports it.
- I can't install the OverDrive app on my device. Does that mean I can't read any digital titles from OverDrive?
- No. You have several options:
- If you have a Kindle, you can read Kindle books.
- If your device supports the ePub format, you may be able to check out and download eBooks using your computer and then transfer the book to your reader using Adobe Digital Editions and a USB connection. Also, OverDrive has a large selection of Always Available classic titles that do not require a library card to check out. If your device supports ePub, you should be able to read these Open ePub titles on your device.
- If your device plays MP3 audio files, you may be able to listen to digital AudioBooks. See the OverDrive Device Resource Center for more information.
- I have DSL Internet service at home for my computer but I can't seem to get my tablet (or eReader) to connect to the Internet. How can I download eBooks and digital audiobooks to my device?
- Use your computer to checkout and download titles. Once the book is downloaded to your computer, you can transfer it to your mobile device using a USB cord. You will need to use Adobe Digital Editions on your computer to complete the transfer of most ePub titles. Kindle titles will require you to log in to your Kindle account to complete the download to your computer.
- I don't have Internet at home but I just received a free Kindle (or tablet, or iPad, etc.). Can I use it to read or listen to ebooks borrowed from the Library?
- Yes. You can bring your mobile device to the library and use our free wireless Internet and/or one of our public computers, to download titles to your mobile device. Once the title is fully downloaded to your device, you no longer need an Internet connection to read the title.
- My Internet at home is limited to dial-up service. Can I still download eBooks and digital audiobooks from the Library?
- Yes. If you have dial-up service, you may still be able to browse the OverDrive collection and checkout books using a computer. If you have trouble accessing the OverDrive website on your home computer, try using a different browser (i.e. Firefox, Chrome, or an updated Internet Explorer). Most ePub books are 1 mB or less, so they should download to your computer in less than 5 minutes with dial-up Internet. Books with many illustrations will be larger and take longer. Once the book is downloaded to your computer, you can transfer it to your mobile device using a USB cord. You will need to use Adobe Digital Editions on your computer to complete the transfer of most ePub titles. Kindle titles will require you to log in to your Amazon account to complete the download to your computer. Another option is to bring your mobile device to the library and use one of our public computers and our wireless Internet to download titles to your mobile device. Once the title is fully downloaded to your device, you no longer need an Internet connection to read the title.
- I just can't figure out how to checkout and read ebooks, or listen to digital audiobooks, with my device. Will you help me?
- Yes. A staff member at the library can help you get started. Call the library at 546-2849 to make an appointment.
- I have borrowed some eBooks but they expired in just one week. Can I get a longer loan period?
- OverDrive books default to a 7-day loan period. You can change your default loan period to 14-days by going to your account settings. Note, you need to change the loan period before you check out a title, for it to be effective for the title. Once you have your loan period set, it remains in effect until you change it. There are separate loan period settings for eBooks and Audiobooks.
- Can I renew a digital book?
- If a title has no holds, the option to renew becomes available three days before it is due to expire. If a title has holds, you won't be able to renew it but will have the option to Request Again which will add you to the title's holds list. These options will appear next to the title on your online Bookshelf under your library Account. You can only use the renew feature once for each checkout. You cannot complete the checkout of a renewed title before your first checkout expires. If you'd like to re-download a renewed title, you'll have to go back to your library Bookshelf and select Download again, even if you selected the option to have the title automatically borrowed for you. In rare instances, a title may not be available for renewal.
- I think I checked out a book, but I can't find it on my device. Why?
- Digital library books must be downloaded after they are checked out (borrowed).
In your OD account bookshelf (on the website):
- If you see the book in your bookshelf, you have it checked out.
- If there is a “Return Title” button associated with the book, you have not yet downloaded it.
- If you have not yet downloaded a book AND there are multiple versions available (ie, epub, kindle, etc) the Download button will also include the text “Select one format”.
- If you have not yet downloaded a book AND there is only one version available (ie, an MP3 audiobook) the Download button will also include the format of the book in parenthesis.
- If you have downloaded a book, the Download button includes the format of the book in parenthesis and there is NO “Return Title” button associated with the book. You can download a book more than once, but you can NOT change the format on subsequent downloads unless the book is returned and checked out again. There may be a limit to the number of times you can click the Download button for a title before you reach the download limit for that lending period.
What to do if a title is not properly loading or the OverDrive app is crashing.
How to sync your place and bookmarks across multiple devices with OverDrive app.